Monday 2 March 2009

Blog or not?

Boring, everything I start to write is coming up boring, every time I start in on a subject it ends up being a rant about the rotten mood I'm in at the moment.

So I decided I'd just write up a few things I'm liking at the moment.

Starting with Mr Stephen Fry, a man who continues to grow in my mind as an arbiter of things good and great (though I'm sure he'll disagree in a suitably modest way). If anyone asks my opinion of him I tend to get unashamedly gooey, gushing and worshipful.

I've been a fan of his for a while, ever since picking up 'The Liar' when I was 16 and devouring it. I've followed him on twitter , downloaded his podgrams from i-tunes (I particularly urge anyone who is in love with the written,spoken,sung or shouted word to read/listen to the blessay called language good to read, even better when listened to), and dived into his varying novels. The latest that I read being 'The Stars' Tennis Balls' a modern re-telling of The 'Count of Monte Cristo' story which lead me to jump into Alexandre Dumas's classic and tear through it. (More on that later).

He is a commentator, novelist, columnist, comedian, actor, and the only real claimant to the title of 'UK's favourite quiz master' after the sad death of the brilliant Humphrey Lyttelton

Maybe I've a little bit of a bro-mance going on here? Speaking of people I'm a little in love with.

Next up is Alesha Dixon, I have a fully grown up type crush on her (my girlfriend is fully aware and approves).

I watched her documentary 'Look But Don't Touch' about trying to get a non-airbrushed, non-made-up picture of herself on the front of a fashion mag because it was on and my girlfriend is a Strictly Come Dancing devotee. I found it was surprisingly good and ever since I have unintentionally followed her work.

The crush is not simply because she is absolutely stunning, has a good voice, produces music that is a notch above the normal ex-girlband/boyband type thing, or that she can dance it up a storm. It's that she actually comes across as a genuinely pleasant person. A total package almost.

Talking about packages, check out eclectic eccentricity lovely jewellery, good prices. One of my Lady's favourite places, they turn over their designs and items regularly. I've got these bookmarked for special occasions, surprises, bad weeks at work!

These items come packaged up in little pink boxes, perfect for a little gift for your someone special (I have ordered some for Alesha and Stephen).

Books, books books, knowledge, learning, escapism, fantasy. I've been doing a lot of reading since Christmas.

As mentioned above I've just finished The 'Count of Monte Cristo' which I always thought was a children's book. However once I'd started I found it contains murder, infanticide, matricide, patricide, suicide, live burial, rape, lesbianism and liberal use of hashish! Which thinking about it sounds like my bed-time stories as a child!

It's an amazing read, it tells the tale of Edmond Dantes a young sailor in love with the beautiful Mercedes who is wrongfully accused of being a Bonapartist sympathiser at a time when this is considered high treason, he is imprisoned for life and escaping after a decade swearing revenge on the four people who destroyed his life. At over 1000 pages of close type it's a a long read, but well worth it.

Well I think that's enough of the things I like for now, as a return it's not a bad smattering of thought, but what I really brought you here for was to talk about cheese...................

1 comment:

Katy Ludditt said...

Loz, I miss you sooooooo much! This was like having a virtual Richmond ramble, just without me butting in or tripping over at regular intervals. Keep up the good work and more of the cheese.

Love u!